Velvet is a material that’s becoming increasingly popular with sofa buyers – it’s soft and luxurious and gives real elegance to a room. But velvet can be a tricky material to clean, because it’s delicate and if you’re not careful you’ll damage it badly. The key, it seems, is to make sure you don’t get the fabric too wet…so follow these instructions for optimum results:
- Brush the velvet carefully, to remove loose dirt and dust. You can do this by attach a nozzle to your vacuum and running it across the velvet.
- Take a plastic bottle and fill it halfway with warm water. Then add a few drops of organic dish washing detergent. Give the bottle a good shake (at which point you should see some bubbles).
- Take a soft cloth and put some of the bubbles on it (not the water). The cloth should be barely damp.
- Dab at the stains (never scrub) and make sure you don’t get the velvet too wet.
- Use a clean dry cloth to blot the liquid. Don’t press down too hard.
With these tips, your velvet sofa will look good as new!